Monday, August 5, 2013

mountain/valley metaphors are overused

I had four warts on my hand removed the other day.

I know.  Nasty.

But before you get all grossed out on me, let me assure you that they were really small.  Other people barely even noticed them.  But I think we can agree that warts (I loathe that word) are things we're all better off without.

It was actually pretty cool how the doctor did it.  She took a can of liquid nitrogen (sounds so fancy) and sprayed the spots until the skin was frozen.  After two rounds of that, I was good to go.  With a bit of a sore hand, mind you.

What she didn't tell me is that the skin would begin to blister in all the treated spots.  The blister is actually what removes the wart; it lifts the affected skin to reveal new, healthy skin underneath.  By the end of the day, I had four lovely blisters on my right hand that looked more like warts than the warts had.  Wonderful.

That was on Wednesday.  It's Monday now AND THE BLISTERS ARE STILL THERE.  Merrrr.  I can't wait for them to finally heal so my hand can look normal again, which has been the goal the whole time.

But it got me thinking.  Things sometimes get worse before they get better than before.  The mere fact that you're in a valley means that if you just keep walking, you'll eventually find yourself on a mountain with a beautiful view, stronger and wiser than before.

Don't give up in the valley.  I know the mountain/valley metaphor is a little over-used, but isn't that how life feels sometimes?  But why lose momentum in the valley when that's the most important place to gain it?  If you've ever ridden a bicycle, you'll know that if you're going fast enough before the hill, you'll have enough speed to get up the hill once you're on it.

So give someone a genuine smile.  Send a card to someone you appreciate.  Take a skip around the block.  Sit back and rest in God's presence.  He wants to be with you and in His presence is fullness of joy.  He knows you'll reach a happy place eventually.

xo
jess



No comments:

Post a Comment